Got an upcoming BCG case interview and don’t know what resources to use to prepare for it?
I’m a former MBB interviewer, and I’ll share with you what the best BCG case interview resources are.
While there are many case interview articles, videos, books, courses, and coaching options available, some case interview resources are significantly better than others.
Without the right resources, passing your BCG case interviews will be extremely challenging. Poor BCG case interview resources will teach you the wrong strategies and waste hundreds of hours of your time.
In this article, we’ll cover the best resources to prepare for your BCG case interview given your specific needs and budget.
We categorize these BCG case interview resources into the following categories, from cheapest to most expensive:
- Free resources to prepare for BCG case interviews
- BCG case interview books
- BCG case interview courses
- BCG case interview coaching
- How to best use BCG case interview resources
- The best BCG case interview resources
If you’re looking for a step-by-step shortcut to learn case interviews quickly, enroll in our case interview course. These insider strategies from a former Bain interviewer helped 30,000+ land consulting offers while saving hundreds of hours of prep time.
Free Resources to Prepare for BCG Case Interviews
BCG’s interview preparation website, is a great starting point to familiarize yourself with BCG case interviews.
This can be a great resource to use because it is official BCG material, taken straight from their website.
BCG previously had an interactive case library on their website, with two 45-minute case interviews that you can do by yourself on the computer. These interactive cases also gave feedback.
Unfortunately, BCG has taken these interactive cases off their website. However, the good news is that we’ve recorded step-by-step videos that walk through these cases.
You can watch the videos below and follow along to practice.
BCG interactive case #1: Airline profitability
BCG interactive case #2: Drug pricing
The major downside is that BCG’s website does not provide many tactical strategies that walk through step-by-step, how to solve a case interview.
If you are completely new to BCG case interviews, we’ve pulled together a free video on a complete guide to case interviews. This video is perfect for beginners who want a quick overview of the case interview process.
The video covers:
- What is a case interview
- The eight parts of a case interview
- The six common types of cases
- Written case interviews and group case interviews
- Case interview tips
After watching this video, you should have a good idea of what to expect in a BCG case interview and what strategies you can use, but you will still need practice.
You can find more BCG-specific practice cases by looking through business school consulting club casebooks.
These casebooks are formed by students pulling together previous cases that consulting firms have given.
Check out our article on 23 MBA consulting casebooks with 700+ free practice cases.
A major caveat of these consulting casebooks is that the quality of cases varies significantly. Some practice cases may not be representative of what an actual case interview is like. Other cases may provide poor explanations of the sample answers.
For the highest-quality cases and practice, try to leverage your network. Find classmates, colleagues, or acquaintances that work at or previously have worked at BCG.
Ask them to give you a mock case interview and feedback on your performance.
Most BCG or former BCG consultants are more than happy to help you out if you have an upcoming interview. Best of all, they are doing this for free!
BCG Case Interview Books
After free resources, the next cheapest option to preparing for BCG case interviews are case interview prep books.
Case interview prep books are great resources to use because they are fairly inexpensive, only costing $20 to $30. They contain a tremendous amount of information that you can read, digest, and re-read at your own pace.
Based on our comprehensive review of the 12 popular case interview prep books, we ranked nearly all of the case prep books in the market.
The three case interview prep books we recommend using are:
- Hacking the Case Interview (available on Amazon): Perfect for beginners that are short on time. Transform yourself from a stressed-out case interview newbie to a confident intermediate in under a week. Some readers finish this book in a day and can already tackle tough cases.
- The Ultimate Case Interview Workbook (available on Amazon): Perfect for beginners that are short on time. Transform yourself from a stressed-out case interview newbie to a confident intermediate in under a week. Some readers finish this book in a day and can already tackle tough cases.
- Case Interview Secrets (available on Amazon): This book provides great explanations of essential case interview concepts and fundamentals. The stories and anecdotes that the author provides are entertaining and help paint a clear picture of what to expect in a case interview, what interviewers are looking for, and how to solve a case interview.
BCG Case Interview Online Courses
Case interview courses are more expensive to use than case interview prep books, but offer more efficient and effective learning.
You’ll learn much more quickly from watching someone teach you the material, provide examples, and then walk through practice problems than from reading a book by yourself.
Courses typically cost anywhere between $200 to $400.
If you are looking for a single resource to learn the best BCG case interview strategies in the most efficient way possible, enroll in our case interview course.
Through 70+ concise video lessons and 20 full-length practice cases based on real interviews from top-tier consulting firms, you’ll learn step-by-step how to crush your BCG case interview.
We’ve had students pass their BCG first round interview with just a week of preparation, but know that your success depends on the amount of effort you put in and your starting capabilities.
BCG Case Interview Coaching
With case interview coaching, you’ll pay anywhere between $100 to $300 for a one-hour mock case interview session with a case coach. Typically, case coaches are former consultants or interviewers that have worked at top-tier consulting firms.
Although very expensive, case interview coaching can provide you with high quality feedback that can significantly improve your case interview performance.
By working with a case coach, you will be practicing high quality cases with an expert. You’ll get detailed feedback that ordinary case interview partners are not able to provide.
Know that you do not need to purchase case interview coaching to receive a consulting job offer.
The vast majority of candidates that receive offers from top firms did not purchase case interview coaching. By purchasing case interview coaching, you are essentially purchasing convenience and learning efficiency.
Case interview coaching is best for those that have already learned as much as they can about case interviews on their own and feel that they have reached a plateau in their learning.
For case interview beginners and intermediates, it may be a better use of their money to first purchase a case interview course or case interview prep book before purchasing expensive coaching sessions.
There is no particular company we recommend for case interview coaching because the case coach that you are paired with matters more than what company you use.
If you do decide to eventually use a case interview coach, make sure that you find the right case coach.
There is a wide range of quality among coaches, so ensure that you are working with someone that is invested in your development and success.
If possible, ask for reviews from previous candidates that your coach has worked with.
How to Best Use BCG Case Interview Resources
Whether you choose to exclusively use free resources or purchase case interview prep books, courses, or coaching, follow these five tips to make the most of your BCG case interview resources.
1. Learn the right strategies the first time
It is very important to learn the right case interview strategies the first time.
If you learn poor case interview strategies and then practice solving cases using these strategies, you’ll develop bad case interview habits. These habits will be difficult to correct later on when you decide to switch to using more effective case interview strategies.
If you learn the effective and robust strategies in the beginning, you’ll save yourself many hours of preparation time.
2. Practice with high-quality practice cases
When practicing cases, try to use the highest quality practice cases you can find. Ideally, these cases will come directly from BCG and be representative of an actual case interview in terms of difficulty and length.
You’ll find yourself improving much more quickly if you use high-quality practice cases versus low-quality cases.
3. Practice with a case partner whenever possible
While it may be helpful to practice solving cases by yourself in the beginning, you should practice with a case partner when you feel comfortable solving cases.
Practicing with a case partner is the best way to simulate a real case interview.
4. Keep a list of improvement areas
Don’t just work through practice cases and stop once you have answered all of the questions. Take the time to go through exactly what you did to solve the case and identify areas you could have done better.
Keep a list of everything you could have improved on after each case.
After doing a few practice cases, you’ll likely notice patterns on things that you consistently don’t do well. This is a great way to identify your weaknesses so that you can work on improving them.
5. Work on improving one thing at a time
Focus on improving one thing at a time.
Trying to work on all of your improvement areas at once is difficult to do and will likely be unproductive. Before each practice case interview, pick one thing that you want to work on. When you have mastered that one thing, move onto the next improvement area.
The Best BCG Case Interview Resources
To prepare for BCG case interviews, we recommend the following resources:
- Comprehensive Case Interview Course (our #1 recommendation): The only resource you need. Whether you have no business background, rusty math skills, or are short on time, this step-by-step course will transform you into a top 1% caser that lands multiple consulting offers.
- Hacking the Case Interview Book (available on Amazon): Perfect for beginners that are short on time. Transform yourself from a stressed-out case interview newbie to a confident intermediate in under a week. Some readers finish this book in a day and can already tackle tough cases.
- The Ultimate Case Interview Workbook (available on Amazon): Perfect for intermediates struggling with frameworks, case math, or generating business insights. No need to find a case partner – these drills, practice problems, and full-length cases can all be done by yourself.
- Case Interview Coaching: Personalized, one-on-one coaching with former consulting interviewers
- Behavioral & Fit Interview Course: Be prepared for 98% of behavioral and fit questions in just a few hours. We'll teach you exactly how to draft answers that will impress your interviewer
- Resume Review & Editing: Transform your resume into one that will get you multiple interviews
We’ve specifically made these materials to be better than anything on the market.
You’ll not only learn the most robust, effective case interview strategies, but you’ll also learn BCG case interviews in the most efficient way possible, potentially saving you hundreds of hours of prep time.